Backdating of Council Tax rebate

Hi All,

My council tax band is B, has been for around the last 5 years. However I'm certain I was previously on Band C, and I've lived in my current property for 20 years. I've searched all over for a paper copy of previous council tax bills but I've only retained hard copies of last four years. Answer to this could well be a 'no' but thought I'd ask...would I be able to get a rebate from previously paying a higher band rate? Many thanks.


  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,712 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your band was reduced, it would be depend on why it was reduced and if the reduction was backdated. If it was reduced because (for example) a huge and noisy factory had been built next door then the reduction would not be backdated.

    Use this link to check the history of your band

    If there is an effective date given and it also says "view previous CT bands for this property" then you will know the band has been changed at some time in the past. If this is the case and it has been backdated to when you moved in or earlier, you will have to contact the council who may or may not be able to confirm if you received a refund for any overpayment. As I understand it, some councils no longer keep records of CT accounts beyond a certain date, so you may not get a satisfactory reply.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards