Solar PV and Smart Meter

Short question, are you forced to have a Smart Meter installed if you have a new Solar PV system installed?

Of course, depending on the answers, more questions will follow;-)

F.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Freepost said:
    Short question, are you forced to have a Smart Meter installed if you have a new Solar PV system installed?
    It depends.
    If you've already got a relatively modern electronic but non-smart meter, you can probably keep it.
    If you've got a "spinning disc" electromechanical meter, it will probably need replacing and the only replacement you'll get is a smart meter.
    If you want to be paid for export you'll have to get a smart meter.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    keep your  spinning disc as long as possible
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    QrizB said:
    Freepost said:
    It depends.
    If you've already got a relatively modern electronic but non-smart meter, you can probably keep it.
    If you've got a "spinning disc" electromechanical meter, it will probably need replacing and the only replacement you'll get is a smart meter.
    We've just had a solar panel installation with a "spinning disc" meter. A replacement wasn't mentioned. 
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 April 2022 at 9:58AM
    QrizB said:
    Freepost said:
    It depends.
    We've just had a solar panel installation with a "spinning disc" meter. A replacement wasn't mentioned. 
    I think there are two types of spinning disc; one that can spin backwards and one that can’t. 
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Freepost
    Freepost Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your replies.

The house is new, still underconstruction I guess. Whereas I recognise that the supplier of the gas and elect, probably Octopus, would want to install smart meters and I would have a small battle to resist the said Smart meter which I understand that you can still do. Could I still resist if having Solar installed?

Note; I don't think they would install a Smart meter for the gas supply since the meter box is in the ground!

Thanks
    F.
  • paul991
    paul991 Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    your installer should inform your supplier and then  its  up to them . i would of thought a new house would have a smart meter fitted as normal  unless your meter is only a temporary fitted .a new  series 2 meter should not cause you any problems but if  your disc is spinning backwards its not your problems. i had 2 years of negative bills before they sorted mine out
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Freepost said:
    The house is new, still underconstruction I guess. Whereas I recognise that the supplier of the gas and elect, probably Octopus, would want to install smart meters and I would have a small battle to resist the said Smart meter which I understand that you can still do. Could I still resist if having Solar installed?
    A brand-new house will have smart meters fitted.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Freepost
    Freepost Posts: 215 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry guys' its my own build. I built the house next door (2018) for my sister and managed to resist the installation of smart meters, I was hopeful of resisting again (although I not sure why, perhaps I've got to that age where you just hate change).

I also understand that it is not obligory for you to have a smart meter installed;

A web search, just now
                Do new build houses have to have smart meters?
                No. Smart meters are not compulsory. However, you may find that some suppliers will only offer
                you a competitive tariff on condition that you have a smart meter fitted

but, is there a reason not to have a Smart meter1
  • mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I cant think of one reason not to have a smart meter... 
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I already had smart meter before my solar panels were installed.  Be interesting to see how far they reduce usage.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback