Notice and week in hand

Please can someone help.
My 3weeks notice from work(dismissed on health) was given on Thursday 17th march, I get paid weekly in hand on Wednesdays, is my last payday 6th April? I think my boss is trying to get away with paying my week in hand? Can someone explain this in basic terms please?

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You should get paid for your notice period. So you should get paid for the week you have already worked (or were off sick) plus the 3 weeks notice period. Normally you will get your final pay on your normal pay day. 

So you need to work out which weeks you have already been paid for and which are due, so you know how much you are expecting to get paid. If they then pay you a different amount you would need to contact them and ask them to pay the correct amount or to set out how they have worked it out, if they think their figure is correct. 

If you normally get paid a week in arrears then that may still happen - e.g. if you would normally get paid for the week ending on 8th April, on 15th April, or they may work it out and pay it on 6th if that's your last day of employment, or on 8th if that's your normal pay day. 

Your bet best would be to ask HR or whoever normally deals with payroll, and ask them to set out how the figures have been calculated if you think they may be wrong. 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,838 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2022 at 1:04PM
    Please can someone help.
    My 3weeks notice from work(dismissed on health) was given on Thursday 17th march, I get paid weekly in hand on Wednesdays, is my last payday 6th April? I think my boss is trying to get away with paying my week in hand? Can someone explain this in basic terms please?
    First, let's confirm the last day of employment, assuming that you are not paid in lieu of receiving notice.  Giving notice to you on Thursday, 17 March, would mean your last day of employment would be Thursday, 7 April (not 6 April as the notice period begins the day after notice is given).

When you say you are "paid weekly in hand on Wednesdays", do you mean that when you are paid on a Wednesday it covers the week up to and including the previous Wednesday?  If so, you could be paid on Wednesday 6 April as normal and then again on 13 April for one week (in hand) plus one day's pay.  But the employer may decide to simply pay in one instalment on 6th: you need to ask their intention.

In theory they could also pay the final day on 20 April.  Remember too that you may be due to receive pay for holiday accrued up to 7 April but not taken (or be due to have any over-payment deducted).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback