MSE Poll: Have you ever asked for a pay rise?

Poll started 29 March 2022

The jump in the cost of living has hit hard, with fuel, energy and food costs rocketing. Yet, for many, wages haven't increased nearly enough to cover these additional costs. While it won't always be possible, asking for a pay rise could help alleviate some of the financial strain. This week, we want to know whether you've ever been successful in asking for a pay rise.

Click here to vote in the poll

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Thanks!

Comments

• Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I voted No - other, because I’ve always worked in the public sector (local government & civil service) where there are fixed pay bands for each grade, and no flexibility to negotiate within them - outside, of course, of joining the union and campaigning for all staff cost of living pay rises. 
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • I voted No - other, because I’ve always worked in the public sector (local government & civil service) where there are fixed pay bands for each grade, and no flexibility to negotiate within them - outside, of course, of joining the union and campaigning for all staff cost of living pay rises. 
     As long as they are calculated fairly I think standardised salary bands are an excellent idea - you have a clear idea of what duties are expected of you and what you can expect in return. Having to negotiate your own pay mainly advantages people who already have connections and confidence (*cough* privately educated white men *cough*) over people who don't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback