My plan - comments welcome/requested!

Options
Hi,

I am almost five years into buying my first home, which was financed by a deposit, a five year fixed 35 year mortgage, and a 20% Help to Buy Equity element.

During this time I have been saving and overpaying my mortgage as fast as I can. Recently running the forecast I am aiming to be debt free in just over a year.

My plan is quite aggressive, and has been the result of living as frugally as possible, and working as hard as I can to maximise my income:

August 2017 - house purchased
Student loans £17k (originally £22k)
Mortgage £193k
Help to buy equity £53k
Total debt £263k

March 2022 - today
Student loans £0
Mortgage £95k - maxed out overpayments
Help to buy equity £50k - house price fell :(
Total debt £145k

Plan at end of fixed term
I plan to put all my savings except for £10k against the Help to buy, and then the mortgage at the end of the fixed period.

This will leave me with a mortgage of £45k at the end of the fixed period.

I can then pay all available cash against this for around 10 months, and then be debt free.

What is everyone’s view of this plan. I guess the risk is that I’m liquidating all of my investments and will only have £10k cash.

I plan to leave the mortgage on the variable rate and not remortgage to avoid the costs and inflexibility of remortgage. Meaning I will be on a higher 4.5% rate, but I think works out as a saving overall.

Comments

• kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think this would be better in the mortgage free wannabe board.

I focussed on paying off my mortgage and in retrospect, putting some of that money into pension AVCs would have been a good idea. However focussing on the mortgage meant I didn't have that to worry about during the pandemic.

I keep enough cash to cover my normal outgoings for a year, figuring that I could cut back if I lost my job and that would then cover emergency spend eg breakdown of washing machine. When I had a mortgage, that obviously included a year's worth of mortgage payments.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ask a forum ambassador to move this to the mortgage free wannabe board OP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback