Where do I even begin?

edited 10 April 2022 at 5:41PM in Debt-free wannabe
12 replies 1.9K views


  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    I agree with the above except if you can get the fee together in 3 months you can avoid the HCEO becoming a nuisance again.

    The potential problem with stopping utility/council tax payments is the joint liability.

    A UC advance is a provable debt in bankruptcy

    An advance of benefit available is under the Universal Credit system (known as a Payment on Account).

    When a payment is made, Universal Credit payments are subsequently reduced for a period of time until the Payment on Account is accounted for, typically over 6 or 12 months. Universal Credit payments then resume normal levels.

    Following a bankruptcy any sums due in relation to a Payment on Account would be considered to be a provable debt and the DWP should not recover the outstanding sums from the bankrupt, including by way of reduced benefit payments.

  • Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I have taken your comments onboard and will start making payments towards the bankruptcy fee :smile: 

    Hopefully I will be able to get it paid before the HCEO becomes an issue again, but a telephone hearing has been set in regards to my application to set it aside which is good news!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools