Cycling with 2 kids

Options

I was hoping to be able to use my bike to take the kids on the nursery run, with the ever increasing fuel costs and now that the nicer weather is here (for now), it'd be great to use my bike to take them to nursery. I have a 1-year-old and a very nearly 4-year-old. 

Currently, I have a Hamax seat on the bike, which either can go in, but going forwards, I need something that will allow me to safely take both children at the same time.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cargo bike
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A Weehoo TWO bike trailer would take both of them using your existing bike. Beyond that you'd be looking at a cargo bike of some sort.
  • Timbolla
    Timbolla Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I go to work I have seen a couple of people with the cargo bikes.  One of them has had 4 kids in complete with harnesses.  I think it was one of these https://www.babboe.co.uk/babboe-city-e.
    IMHO the long ones look a bit more difficult to ride, but you can get a trike.  Most of them can now have electric assist so not as much of a problem on the hills.
  • RalphT264
    RalphT264 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    For fun, I used to ride with my friend's young brother. The onboard seats are something I would strongly advise against. When a little child sits in those seats, the bike's centre of gravity rises dramatically, making the ride exceedingly unstable.
  • Username03725
    Options
    We had a trail-gator for a while - it's a bar that attaches a child's bike to your own bike's seat post to allow you to tow him/her behind. It lifts the front wheel off the ground so there's no issues with balancing & steering. The only issue for you is that it probably won't fit if you already have a childseat fitted.

Trail-Gator on Amazon
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We had a trail-gator for a while - it's a bar that attaches a child's bike to your own bike's seat post to allow you to tow him/her behind. It lifts the front wheel off the ground so there's no issues with balancing & steering. The only issue for you is that it probably won't fit if you already have a childseat fitted.

Trail-Gator on Amazon
    Trail Gators are brilliant. Your eldest can cycle for a bit on their own if you are on a safe route and then you can re-attach them to your bike when they get tired or if you need to cycle on the road. I don't think it would be compatible with an existing child seat though, unless you have a seat fitted in front of you for your youngest rather than behind. 
    Only thing with the trail gator is that it's not great using it if your child's bike is pristine and you hope to sell it on someday as it has to grip tight onto their bike and does damage the paintwork on the handlebar post. 
    Hope you get something sorted.
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 April 2022 at 11:07AM
    Options
    A 2 child trailer (like the weehoo two) is probably the easiest option that doesn't involve buying a new bike.   Look on second hand sights before new - most bike trailers don't get that much use so you can find them in good nick.

For comparison - a new WeeHoo TWO is £600, a new Babboe cargo bike wil set you back 5 times as much and is less practical as a "normal" bike when not being used to transport kids.  (The WeeHoo only needs a small trailer hitch on the seatpost)
  • Indigo_and_Violet
    Options
    The family cycling uk group on facebook has lots of advice on different options and a lively second-hand kit market. I'm in London and the 'try before you bike' scheme organised through the council has child trailers you can rent for £20-£30 a month if you want to give them a try. They'll come out and fit it for you and then collect it when you're done. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback