Financial security - most efficient way

Hello, 

First of all, I consider myself very lucky and fortunate. 

I'm looking for some advice as we are keen to explore the best way to achieve financial security for myself and my partner.

We bought our first home in July 2022. We borrowed £260k at a fixed rate of 3.3% for 2 years, interest goes up to 4.5% after the fixed period. Its a 33 year term.

My partner is 37 and I am 27. Our plan is for her to semi retire at 50/55 and me to work until I'm 50/55.

We are a double income house, earning 80k pre tax per year. No children and no debts to pay so our disposable income is relatively high. Our fixed/regular outgoings are 2,500 each month leaving us 2k each month disposable. 

We have 1 ambition: Retire early and enjoy being able to do whatever we want. 

Some questions:

What is the most efficient way to be financially secure?

What should we prioritise? Paying off our mortgage, saving a deposit for 2nd home, investing, pension funds?

What would you do if you were in our shoes? 

Thank you.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The most efficient way to be financially secure is to invest in assets that either produce an income or grow in value, and borrow the least amount you need to for the least time. 

This means you need to pay off your mortgage as quickly as you can, and invest into your pensions until you feel that you have a good amount of pension savings. Once you are happy that your pension savings are setting you up for a comfortable retirement, you can start to invest for early retirement. ISAs are a good vehicle for early retirement.

Don't worry about the risk of investing; if you invest for the long term, and you invest in mainstream investment funds (anything with over £500m of capital), you are likely to do well.

Also, don't buy things you don't need. Expensive cars and 2nd homes come with expensive running costs. Live as cheaply as you can, and invest most of what you earn. You should spend some of your money on treats such as holidays, otherwise life would be boring, but you don't need a 4 star hotel to get a comfortable bed.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback