Personal Loan

Options
FlyingByrne
FlyingByrne Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I’m looking to take out a loan of around 8000-8500. I’ve been looking around, trying to find my eligibility. I’ve a 900+ credit score on ClearScore. I can get a guaranteed accepted loan of 7.4% with Admiral, or Ratesetter is around 4.5% however it still has checks to do, apparently. 
My own bank is showing 70% chance of acceptance. Has anyone any experience with Ratesetter? 
Or am I better taking the guaranteed loan with a slightly higher APR to protect my credit score. 

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your score has no bearing whatsoever on your ability to get a loan, or on what rate you'll be offered.
    Are you sure the offer from Admiral is guaranteed?  It's most unusual for any lender to tell you what rate they'll give you until they've run some credit checks.  Ratesetter, like any lender, will advertise a "representative" rate, but again they'll not tell you what rate you are eligible for until you've gone through the application process and they've run your data through their systems.
    All other things being equal, there's no harm in applying for Ratesetter and seeing what they offer.  If you don't like the rate you're offered, then go to Admiral with their "guaranteed" (of which I'm slightly sceptical) rate.
    Of course, in true MSE style, the most sensible option would be to question why/whether you need the loan at all :smile:
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Veyr much doubt its garuntee especially with the extra checks. You say apprently on the checks but most lenders do final checks before confirming in order to check your actual files.

Dont be surprised if the rate goes up. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ClearScore do offer "guaranteed" acceptance, have personally used 4 times and each time the offer has matched the guarantee including one where a direct request on the lenders website had given a low probability of acceptance. All guarantees are naturally subject to final checks by the lender however they claim their process involves a live check with the lender and hence the guarantee unlike some other services which just have the sites best guess of the lenders likely response.
  • maj1987
    maj1987 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never used it but Experian do the same
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Asda, My Community, Experian, Clearscore ...... are acting as brokers, the borrowed amount will be provided by a main lender/bank.
    The word 'guaranteed' has many caveats meaning that the possibility of obtaining one and the rate offered are not necessarily the ones indicated - due diligence is required before jumping into the commitment or you'll have just accepted their offer blindly.
  • andyf1980
    andyf1980 Posts: 836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surprised at that rate. Not long since got 2.9%
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    andyf1980 said:
    Surprised at that rate. Not long since got 2.9%
    Rates are risk specific.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2022 at 8:42AM
    Options
    +1 Admiral loans.
    I only borrowed 2k.
    Though now seeing top up options up to 30k from my 6th monthly payment.
    +2K was advertised Guarantee rate.
    10.1 apr.
    This rate was far ahead of others whilst I re build rating.

thanks
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's great that you're doing your research before taking out a loan. With your excellent credit score of 900+, you're in a strong position to secure a favorable rate. Ratesetter does seem like an attractive option with a 4.5% rate, but it's important to consider their checks and processing time.

Why have you resurrected a thread that's well over a year old in order to post totally inaccurate advice?  A score of 900+ means exactly the same as a score of 17 - i.e. nothing.  It may be an idea to check your facts before attempting to offer advice.

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's great that you're doing your research before taking out a loan. With your excellent credit score of 900+, you're in a strong position to secure a favorable rate. Ratesetter does seem like an attractive option with a 4.5% rate, but it's important to consider their checks and processing time.

Please check the dates on posts...a few weeks ago you resurrected a thread that had been dead for over 2 years...the original poster had not logged into MSE since August 2021...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback