Trainline Family and Friends railcard problem

Options
I recently bought a 3 year Family and Friends railcard through the Trainline using their 30% off deal. I knew it was a digital railcard and that it could only be accessed through their app, but what I didn’t realise is that only the account holder can access it. 

Essentially this means that the second adult named on the card, who is entitled by the card T&Cs to travel without me, can only use it if I give them my login and password details. In practice I don’t mind doing this but in principle and from a general privacy/data security perspective it troubles me. Trainline doesn’t see any problem with this and keeps telling me the account holder can access it. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions or solutions?  

Comments

• TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't see why it's a problem? Just choose a login and password distinct from any other account you have. You and the other holder can agree it together.
  • onlychild
    Options
    Yes, that would be a good idea but I was already in my Trainline account when I bought it, and it automatically lodged in that account, and I can’t change it. 
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be able to make changes to your password on the railcard website :

https://id.railcard.co.uk/Account/Login

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,218 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    @onashoestring  - the issue here is that railcards bought from Trainline are accessed exclusively via the Trainline app, and can't be used in the official Railcard app. 

Whereas the official Railcard app allows a Family & Friends railcard to be stored in two users' accounts, you can only access a F&F Railcard bought from Trainline from the Trainline account that you used to purchase it.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport