Credit Style Ltd - chasing debt from Peoples Energy

jagger86jagger86 Forumite
112 Posts
Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi everyone, not posted for a while!

Received a letter today from Credit Style Ltd saying I owe £149 from when I was with Peoples Energy in 2020. I am certain there was no outstanding balance and they have ceased trading now.

Can I send them a provit letter? It that the best course of action?

I've found it in the pinned thread if so.

Thanks in advance
tackling credit card debt starting Feb 2020
HSBC £3400 £3251
Santander £4400 £4188
Fluid £650 £330

Emergency fund £580/£1000

Replies

• EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If as far as you know everything was all paid up when you left them, then it sounds like the Prove It is the way to go. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £11.87/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (1) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Do the back billing rules apply here ?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Hmmm....depends on whether - if there WAS a balance - it was previously (correctly) billed, but not paid I suspect. If this is a "new" debt that has never previously been billed - then I *think* they would. I'll tag @QrizB from the energy board who I suspect may have a far more conclusive answer! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £11.87/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (1) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • QrizBQrizB Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You called?
    Back-billing is a funny thing. The restrictions are part of the standard Ofgem energy supply licence, so suppliers risk losing their licence if they violate the terms. Unfortunately failed suppliers are stripped of their supply licence when they fail so you can't rely on it being any help in the situation the OP describes.
    There have been reports elsewhere of Credit Style going after PE account holders for energy used after they left the property.
    Jagger86 do you still have your People's Energy bills? If you do, you can check (for your own peace of mind) that you didn't owe them anything and that the closing meter readings on your PE account are the same as your opening readings with your new supplier. you can also check the dates that you joined and left PE.
    If your pretty sure that you don't owe anything, yes I'd agree that a "Prove It" letter would be a sensible next step.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Voda BB / Virgin mobi. Ripple WT2 member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 28MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem caps explained - April 2022 and October 2022. EPG explainer to follow eventually!
  • edited 8 March 2022 at 10:06AM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2022 at 10:06AM
    Back billing is a "rule" and not a law and is enforced by OFGEM.  OFGEM can only enforce the rules against a licenced energy supplier and when an energy supplier fails they have their licence removed so no governance outside the legal system. On a technicality therefore it is likely back billing is set against the 6 year rule which does come under the legal system.
    OP, surely all the bills you have in your filing system will prove your case ?