Moved from D to E just in time for no rebate

Hi there,

We moved in to our house 3.5 years ago - it had been modestly extended by the previous owners with a single story extension to the rear - adding maybe 25m2 to the house which is a semi detached 2.5 bedroom house.

Just after the announcement of the £150 rebate we received a letter saying they were investigating our council tax band. Subsequently we have been moved from D to E and we are no longer eligible for the rebate. The reason for this was code 4 [I will check that’s accurate] - renovations that were done before we bought the house.

This timing seems unusual…but maybe coincidental. What do you think?

Based on the two tests there is a fair shout the house should be in the lower band - they both suggest D. All even numbered houses are D with the exception of ours, some with modest extensions too. Nobody else has received a letter. Some odd numbers are E but those that do have loft extensions and dormers adding bedrooms.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Someone's appealed their own banding and yours has changed as a result.

Nothing to do with the rebate.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,629 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    25 sq metres is quite a lot of extra room, so not surprised your band has increased. If the band was increased because of alterations by the previous owner and you are in England, then you will have gained by not having to pay Band E for over 3 years as this type of band review should have been carried out soon after you bought the house. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Someone's appealed their own banding and yours has changed as a result.

Nothing to do with the rebate.
    My suspicion also. Would be useful to bookmark a thread when people make threads about challenging council tax and do not consider that the other houses may be undervalued.

'But there's this one house on the street that's the same size as mine, and that's only a D? Surely mine should be reduced from an E to a D?'
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure