Intrum Finance chasing a very old debt, advice please

Options
Hi, I wondered if anyone could help.

Back in 2012 I had an Aqua credit card which defaulted and I wasn't in a position to pay it, the balance was £400 and it ended up being a CCJ. I believe I may have made some small token payments towards it at the time but it has long been forgotten. A week ago I received a letter from intrum finance chasing this debt of which the CCJ was obtained on 2/4/2014. They are asking me for an attachment of earnings and threatening to take the money back from my wages via my employer. They asked me to contact them within 10 days, I didn't do this.
Today I have received another letter this time  just asking me to contact them within 10 days otherwise they will instruct their solicitors to commence enforcement proceedings.

I have checked my credit file and this debt, or ccj is not on there. Assuming because it is so old.

Should I pay?

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The debt would have dropped off your file 6 years after the default date

The ccj would have dropped off 6 years after the judgement date.

I don't know whether you feel like engaging with them on this or just ignoring them but they will require the court's permission to enforce a judgement more than six years old.

I'm definitely not recommending these solicitors but they have written an interesting article setting out the legal basis

https://www.ellisjones.co.uk/news/judgment-enforcement-beyond-six-years/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure