World Book Day - any free/cheap homemade costume ideas?

Options
It's World Book Day on Thursday 3rd March 2022.

I'm keen to hear your homemade World Book Day costume ideas. How are you and your kid/s getting into the spirit cheaply or for free?

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I once made a simple dress from a black bin bag and made a pointy hat to go with it and sent DD to school as the Worst Witch.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One local school has got round this by suggesting pupils come in comfy PJs ... Saves the stress of 'what can I dress them in?' 

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,570 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Any ideas for cheap homemade costumes for this year's World Book Day (Thur 2nd March)?

How about:

- The White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland: rabbit ears from Poundland (or made with a headband, wires and fabric scraps) and a cardboard pocket watch on string
    - Violet Beauregarde from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory: purple clothing and a purple painted face
    - Harry Potter: A lightning scar drawn on the forehead with waterproof eyeliner or face paint
    - A wizard or witch (eg, Meg & Mog, Harry Potter, The Worst Witch): Craft a hat from cardboard (video tutorial here)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    For many books set in the present day you can send them in their own clothes - if you think of things like the Tracey Beaker books, but even things like Coraline (more recognizable if you match the colours from the film, but not essential ,say you are the one from the book, not the film!) 

IF they have grey trousers / skirt and a white button short then older books where the children wear school uniform (bonus if you can source an appropriate hat or blazer) - this would work for most of the Narnia books, for instance, as well as older school stories 

(Harry Potter - they get changed on the train, so send them in normal clothes and they can say that they are Harry / Hermione / Ron disguised as a muggle / dressed to catch the Hogwarts express and having to blend in at Kings Cross) Or wear a slightly odd mix of clothes for any non-muggle born wizard in disguise.)

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • monty-doggy
    monty-doggy Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Stig of the dump. Easy 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport