Council Tax Banding

I live in a property that is Band 'E' When we purchased the property in 1998 it was originally Band 'D' and increased to Band 'E' after purchase. i have checked other property's in the road and although they all have individual styles they are all detached Bungalow style property's. 24 out of 40 property's are band D
I have written to challenge the banding and been told I do not have enough evidence. I have supplied information relating to the number of property's in Band D and also sales transactions where the banding have remained unchanged

They are asking the following

Our records show that the list of properties you provided differ to your own, and considering all the evidence available, either in relation to age, locality, type or size, we cannot consider them as comparable evidence.

To be considered as comparable, you would need to provide evidence of properties in your locality that are:

•           The same type, for example detached or terraced

•           A similar size

•           Built at a similar time _ I  don't know how to find this information?

Sales evidence in your locality, very close to the valuation date of  1 April 1991 (no more than two years either side of this date), which suggests your property might be incorrectly banded, I cannot find any evidence backdated to 1991

and/or

• Evidence that an error was made when your property was banded.: Re Banded 1998?

Can anyone help or advise 

Many thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The usual reason for increasing a CT band after a sale is because alterations were carried out by a previous owner.

There is no easy way of finding out when a property was actually built. Planning applications have been online for many years but the information for the property you are trying to date may not be digitally recorded. Try to find bungalows that look similar to yours. 1991 sales evidence is not in the public domain.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback