Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter

Should I bother with a battery?

edited 14 February 2022 at 4:37PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
35 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• QrizBQrizB Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No reason I can see for the drop.
    It definitely needs looking into. Your installation is is quite new, is it still under warranty? Can you call the installer out to take a look?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Voda BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple WT2 member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 2.5kw inverter. 29MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Kinda busy right now but I try to pop back to the forum every so often. Drop me a PM if you need me!
  • Cottage_EconomyCottage_Economy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Looking back on the paperwork, the panels are fitted as two strings, top and bottom, and if the bottom string failed that would account for 7/20 panels so about 35% drop. I’ve just contacted the fitter to have a chat and left a message. 

I had a quick look at the inverter and no visible error codes are showing. I wouldn’t even know how to check whether a string has failed. 
  • edited 15 February 2022 at 3:10PM
    Cottage_EconomyCottage_Economy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2022 at 3:10PM
    QrizB said:
    No reason I can see for the drop.
    It definitely needs looking into. Your installation is is quite new, is it still under warranty? Can you call the installer out to take a look?

Yes, fitted in March 2019 by Redmile Energy in Rutland, so have just left a message on their answerphone. 

• edited 15 February 2022 at 3:12PM
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2022 at 3:12PM
    Just checked the inverter, two or three screens in to the menu it shows the generation status of the two strings.

V DC2 0230.4V
    I DC2    0.0.9A

So yes, something wrong with the second string of 7 panels. 
  • VerdigrisVerdigris Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That looks like the voltage and current on the same string, to me. Might be worth another button press or two. I'd guess the other string is called DC1 but might be something else.

I hope you get it fixed quickly. Some sunshine might come along!
  • Cottage_EconomyCottage_Economy Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry, posted the wrong ones. Rushing around trying to do too many things at once.

V DC1 0.001.4v
    I DC1 00.1A
  • VerdigrisVerdigris Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That string is definitely deceased. Probably pining for the fjords.
  • edited 15 February 2022 at 5:19PM
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2022 at 5:19PM
    Verdigris said:
     :smiley: It's not the only thing pining for the fjords round here. Just when I think I'm gaining a bit I go backwards. 

My own fault. On some level I registered the drop in FITS but was so pulled in all directions at the time it went out of my head. Kind of hoping this might be a simple thing, like a mouse chewed wire or something.
  • edited 15 February 2022 at 6:11PM
    JKenHJKenH Forumite
    4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2022 at 6:11PM
    Verdigris said:
     :smiley: It's not the only thing pining for the fjords round here. Just when I think I'm gaining a bit I go backwards. 

My own fault. On some level I registered the drop in FITS but was so pulled in all directions at the time it went out of my head. Kind of hoping this might be a simple thing, like a mouse chewed wire or something.
    Edit: post moved to a separate thread. 

I am having a problem with reduced output from my panels installed in 2018. I have panels on 2 roofs each with its own inverter. The panels on each roof are arranged in 2 identical strings. I can see from the app that monitors my inverters that one string on each inverter produces less than the other but the difference can vary from zero to around 25%. Strangely this is happening on both strings. We have tried swapping the strings round to see if the problem is in the inverter but it isn’t. I would like to think it is something simple but it seems it isn’t. 

Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    For anyone on Octopus Go or Go Faster the case for battery storage has never been stronger.

The latest price is 7.5p/30p for Go & it should reflect the prevailing market as it isn't capped.

Charging for 4 hours per night on Go will yield a discharge of 11.35kWh. The cost of that will be about 9p/kWh after factoring in round trip losses. The savings are therefore 11.35 x 21p (30p - 9p) = £2.38/day... or £870 pa.

The capital cost of the equipment required is;

6 x US2000C @ £720ea = £4320 (or 4 x US3000C @ £1020 = £4080)
    Sofar ME3000 = £700 (?)
    Installation = £350

ROI = is just under 6 years for the US3000C (£5130/£870)... & that's without factoring in any of the solar output you harvest!

Of course all this is dependant on energy prices remaining at 30p/kWh after April 1st & Octopus keeping the huge differential between the on & off peak Go tariff.

4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh