Martin Lewis: DO NOTHING

Martin Lewis has reiterated his warning that most households should continue to do nothing with their energy and should stick with the price cap. It comes in response to news that it will shoot up by 54% in April. Watch the latest episode of The Martin Lewis Money Show Live for the MoneySavingExpert.com founder's view, as well as an explanation of the Government's new £350 energy bills support package

Read the full story here:
'Martin Lewis: DO NOTHING is still the answer for most households' energy supply - stick with the price cap and don't fix'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Agreed, I fixed at the end of last year despite the advice being "Do nothing", and I'm pretty much glad I did now!

• Dogbyte009
    Dogbyte009 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 February 2022 at 4:39PM
    Same here, I fixed last November when prices were starting to creep up. Wavered at the time but it's looking like a shrewd move now.
  • I think it's very possible that high gas users will be able to find a decent fix that may well be the best option. Particularly 2 year fixes.

Given that the 54% increase is actually more like an 80% increase in gas and a 30% increase in electricity, I'd like to see more nuanced advice from Martin Lewis.
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My tariff is ending this month. I'm in the south east and have been offered a fixed deal till June 2023. 

I have an EV.

Electric SC 22.61p Unit Rate 27.19p
    Gas SC 22.61p Unit Rate 7.22p

Am i correct that this marginally better than the new capped rates? 

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I am sure his advice was do not fix unless you are offered a fixed rate no more than 40% above the current capped price.  Most fixed rates on offer were higher than that, but some lower fixed rates were on offer.

I took one with Octopus.  As it turns out the fixed rate is only a fraction under the April cap, but it will still protect me from a much higher daily standing charge and protect me from any further rise in July, October or January (price cap is now going to be renewed every 3 months)
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    My tariff is ending this month. I'm in the south east and have been offered a fixed deal till June 2023. 

I have an EV.

As the capped rate is formed from 2900 kWh of elec and 12000 kWh of gas, using your figures this gives a total of £1819.96, which is less than the April 22 cap.
  • kk20
    kk20 Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Depends when you looked.  Some of us were caught up in various companies going bust, the deals might not have been around at that stage.
  • jiggy2
    jiggy2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I have an EV.

Hi Saintscouple,

I fixed yesterday with EDF on their GoElectric Jun 2024 tariff:

Electric - SC - 32.9p Unit rate 25.09p. Rates are including VAT.

Two downsides:
    Tied in for over 2 years  
    Exit fee - £100 (although if the cap remains at the April 2022 level for 6 months, that exit fee should be covered based on estimated usage, so would be no worse off compared to SVT if i jumped then)

No gas (we are on oil).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure