Frequent calls and texts from Cabot

runforliferunforlife Forumite
436 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I've 2 debts with Cabot that have long since stopped being reported on my credit report. I have requested proof of the debt and they have replied to the effect that they can't supply the original agreement. All good so far. I stopped paying them anything a few months ago and now they ring constantly or text, or email a letter as I have an online account with them. I havent spoken to them for about a year. When they call again should I chat and ask them to stop calling until they can prove the debt? Would this eat into the 6 year statute barred period if I said this? Thanks. 

Replies

• edited 1 February 2022 at 9:56PM
    EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 February 2022 at 9:56PM
    Absolutely. Personally I’d simply tell them that they can now only contact you by mail and that any further harassment by phone will earn them a complaint. It’s best not to get into any further conversation with them on the phone. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2022 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £112.67/£330 (Membership taken 24/1/22)🏋🏻♀️ 2022/23 Gym cost per use: at 20/01/23 £6.60 per visit! (50) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • DjangoUnchainedDjangoUnchained Forumite
    201 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    when my debt , 4 years ago was sold to a debt collector, they phoned me on that day, as soon as they said who they were, i just said, i will not discuss anything about this on the phone, everything must be by letter, and i will hang up as soon as you say who you are again, then put the phone down. They have never called me since.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've 2 debts with Cabot that have long since stopped being reported on my credit report. I have requested proof of the debt and they have replied to the effect that they can't supply the original agreement. All good so far. I stopped paying them anything a few months ago and now they ring constantly or text, or email a letter as I have an online account with them. I havent spoken to them for about a year. When they call again should I chat and ask them to stop calling until they can prove the debt? Would this eat into the 6 year statute barred period if I said this? Thanks. 
    Your best course of action is to exercise your rights under the GDPR.

Write and tell Cabot that -

(A) As failure to comply with a section 77/79 request for information renders a debt unenforceable, you will not be paying these, debts and will instead concentrate on the accounts which are enforceable.

(B) Under the General Data Protection Regulations, you can choose how you are contacted by creditors, so from now on, please only contact me in writing.

Send in a letter to Cabot.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • runforliferunforlife Forumite
    436 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks Sourcrates :smile: