Vinted -v- eBay ?

Options
I'm having a big de-clutter, and being a long-term e-Bay user I'm mindful to transfer my affections to Vinted.
I understand Vinted is free.
With eBay & PayPal I'm losing over 20% on all sales/postage on fees.
But - could I still offer PayPal to Vinted payers?
I occasionally use Facebook Marketplace (for larger items), I offer local collection/delivery; however I find it doesn't have the audience, hence the prices are lower & times to sell are longer.
There seems to be lots of postage options on Vinted listings - (having had problems with Hermes etc) I'd rather stick solely to Royal Mail 2nd class?
I'd appreciate thoughts/advice from anyone who has similar experience please.

Comments

• Helpmedecide45
    Options
    I've managed to sell quite a lot of bits and pieces on Vinted over the last 6 months, but it does depend on what you're selling how quickly it moves. I have been selling children's clothes and some of my own, prices really vary depending on the brand but I would say on balance it's worth it for me. You don't need PayPal as Vinted payments all go through their system and then you withdraw it directly to your bank account. Crucially - yes it's free, however I sell very little unless I pay to boost my wardrobe - this is £6.95 for a week, and brings in a lot more views/favourites/sales. Without it I sell the odd thing here and there-  it used to be more successful without having to pay for anything, I don't know if it's just me or what I'm selling now, but as I say it doesn't seem to be worth doing unless I pay (which I don't do constantly!).
    Postage wise, you can offer Royal Mail but you do also have to offer other options (personally I've switched off Royal Mail as more of a hassle), but you have to at least keep UPS access point as that's a default option for some reason. In practice the majority of people use Hermes or inpost - incidentally the buyer pays postage, but if they use Royal Mail you have to pay for it yourself and the money gets transferred to you after the buyer has received the item, whereas with all other shipping options you don't have to fork out for it upfront. 
    Good luck!
  • little_green
    Options
    I'm having a big de-clutter, and being a long-term e-Bay user I'm mindful to transfer my affections to Vinted.
    I occasionally use Facebook Marketplace (for larger items), I offer local collection/delivery; however I find it doesn't have the audience, hence the prices are lower & times to sell are longer.
    There seems to be lots of postage options on Vinted listings - (having had problems with Hermes etc) I'd rather stick solely to Royal Mail 2nd class?
    i'm in the same boat & was thinking this week of maybe trying out vinted having heard people talk about it, but it;s as you say is it worth it ....?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know someone who sold on e-bay and does much better now on Vinted (starting with the same items) it also appears easier to use - uploading items, submitting tracking info for buyers etc 
  • little_green
    Options
    mjm3346 said:
    I know someone who sold on e-bay and does much better now on Vinted (starting with the same items) it also appears easier to use - uploading items, submitting tracking info for buyers etc 
    interesting. I'm a bit put off by what the person said above about postage though would rather have the option that forced to use UPS
  • mjm3346
    Options
    mjm3346 said:
    interesting. I'm a bit put off by what the person said above about postage though would rather have the option that forced to use UPS
    Post Office, Hermes and UPS are all about the same distance for here, most buyers seem to opt for Hermes followed at some distance by UPS and almost no one chooses royal mail
  • onesixfive
    Options
    mjm3346 said:
    mjm3346 said:
    Post Office, Hermes and UPS are all about the same distance for here, most buyers seem to opt for Hermes followed at some distance by UPS and almost no one chooses royal mail
    As I said - I prefer to Use Royal Mail. However all comments point to Vinted swaying customers against them (for whatever reason).
    Couriers such as Hermes etc receive constant criticism for leaving parcels unattended on doorsteps etc (a problem I've experienced myself).
    I also note with interest Helpmedecide45's comment above: "if they use Royal Mail you have to pay for it yourself and the money gets transferred to you after the buyer has received the item, whereas with all other shipping options you don't have to fork out for it upfront". 

SO I ask - Is anyone out there using Vinted & Royal Mail successfully ??
  • mjm3346
    Options
    mjm3346 said:
    mjm3346 said:
    As I said - I prefer to Use Royal Mail. However all comments point to Vinted swaying customers against them (for whatever reason).
    Couriers such as Hermes etc receive constant criticism for leaving parcels unattended on doorsteps etc (a problem I've experienced myself).
    I also note with interest Helpmedecide45's comment above: "if they use Royal Mail you have to pay for it yourself and the money gets transferred to you after the buyer has received the item, whereas with all other shipping options you don't have to fork out for it upfront". 

SO I ask - Is anyone out there using Vinted & Royal Mail successfully ??
    As you note sellers have to pay for RM and get the money back so probably not the preferred method for some sellers - but from the Buyers side RM is often not the cheapest option and price can often be king
  • nass84
    Options
    I much prefer Vinted, better prices too. 
  • wmp92
    wmp92 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you have a go? Wondering how you got on! I have always used eBay but playing a bit clearout this weekend intend to try Vinted instead.

i am a little put off by using not Royal Mail as am used to the ease of using them for eBay over many years. 
  • PurpleJelly
    PurpleJelly Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 28 May 2022 at 2:38PM
    Options
    If your thinking of using Vinted think again. Check out the reviews and the news regarding the fines they have received for keeping sellers money. Yes, Ebay and other selling apps have charges but there is still more protection and better Customer service. If you any kind of dispute vinted will block your account taking your earnings with them. Avoid them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback