Bonus when under notice

Options
Hi all,

got a great job offer and want to give in my notice - I have a 3 month period that will take me significantly past the bonus payment date by over a month.

ive looked at my contract and it says that I need to be employed at the time of payment, but does not say that I can’t be serving my notice period - just that I need to be employed.

so would I be able to argue that I should receive my bonus, even if under notice? 

Waiting until after bonus payment date is not an option sadly :( 

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Based on the wording of the contract it would seem you are entitled to the bonus.  If the employer argues otherwise you would need to have a discussion with them and consider further action should they continue to refuse.  The caveat on that is that most bonuses are discretionary so can be withheld for any reason or none.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Almost all bonuses are discretionary and as such what it says in the contract is irrelevant and they will almost certainly use their discretion not to pay a bonus to someone working their notice.  Need to read your contract in more detail!

When are bonuses paid? Are they likely to hold you to the full 3 month notice?

All these things are ultimately a negotiation but you have much more leverage with your soon to be employer if they are really that keen on you... have known companies to compensate for lost bonuses to get people in quicker but you need to be a good negotiator and in demand to get that.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Depends on your contract of employment and any separate terms that cover the bonus payments.

Is it a Corporate Performance Bonus, Personal Bonus etc? Have you had the relevant end of year review to confirm previous years performance and any score that relates to the amount of bonus paid?

Not many "corporate" businesses will pay any bonus whilst working notice for them, it is usually payable to employed employees, without any disciplinary action and not working any notice period at the time of payment.

Time of payment and time of award can be different dates.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    mcpitman said:
    Depends on your contract of employment and any separate terms that cover the bonus payments.

Is it a Corporate Performance Bonus, Personal Bonus etc? Have you had the relevant end of year review to confirm previous years performance and any score that relates to the amount of bonus paid?

Not many "corporate" businesses will pay any bonus whilst working notice for them, it is usually payable to employed employees, without any disciplinary action and not working any notice period at the time of payment.

Time of payment and time of award can be different dates.

One organisation I worked for announced a large number of redundancies with the last day of employment being the day before these employees would have been entitled to a bonus payment!
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    sams32 said:
    Hi all,

got a great job offer and want to give in my notice - I have a 3 month period that will take me significantly past the bonus payment date by over a month.

ive looked at my contract and it says that I need to be employed at the time of payment, but does not say that I can’t be serving my notice period - just that I need to be employed.

so would I be able to argue that I should receive my bonus, even if under notice? 

Waiting until after bonus payment date is not an option sadly :( 
    How long have you been employed? If under 2 years (+ statutory notice period), your employer could dismiss you just before the bonus is paid.

As others have said, check if the bonus is discretionary, which is highly likely. If it is, then you could well find your employer deciding not to pay it to someone who is working their notice.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure