🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Maternity Pay - Overpayment query - URGENT

Options
Hi all - typing this from a stressed out mother, hoping someone can help me - it would be greatly appreciated, information seen below is what my employers have sent me, I agree with the majority of it, however having done my own workings out it seems I have overpaid on tax due to them paying it in bulk over a few months rather than what I would have received by being paid stat - thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I worked out what my maternity stat pay would be along with the benefits within the options of my September and October pay - I think my net pay would be approx £500 more than my net pay receieved of circa £6960 

EMAIL FROM EMPLOYER:

Option 1

Gross Pay Received           £2208.33 x 4 (Sept to December)                                 = £8833.32

Should’ve received

3 days worked in September (1st-3rd)                                                                     = £305.77

6 weeks at 90%                                                                                                                 = £2730.36

2 weeks @ enhanced                                                                                          = £ 109.12

33 weeks of SMP until wc 30th May @ £151.97                                                  = £5015.01

Total                                                                                                                           = £8160.26 gross

£8833.32 – £8160.26 (gross figures) £673.06 (gross figure)/ £327.66 (net) overpaid to be paid back and no more SMP due as it has been received in full already. The SMP should finish w/c 30th May, however as you have already received more than this amount, you would not receive any more money until you return to work.

Option 2

Gross Pay Received           £2208.33 x 4 (Sept to December)                                 = £8833.32

Should’ve received

3 days worked in September (1st-3rd)                                                                    = £305.77

6 weeks at 90%                                                                                                                 = £2730.36

2 weeks @  enhanced                                                                                         = £ 109.12

15 weeks SMP until end of Jan @ £151.97                                                              = £2279.55

Total                                                                                                                           = £5424.80 gross

£8833.32 – £5424.80 (gross figures)  = £3408.52 (gross figure)/ £2358.67 (net) overpaid to be paid back and remaining SMP owed to you (£151.97 per week) is paid out monthly from February payroll to May payroll.

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 January 2022 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Not sure what you are asking.  Is it if these calculations are correct or which option you should take.  
    Either way the tax figure is probably not important as in the end tax is decided by what your taxable gross is at the year end.
    More important is what national insurance you end up paying as this will not be adjusted.
    So Option 1 will give you no NI allowances while Option 2 will give you NI allowances each month untill May.
    What is really needed to do anything meaningful is details of your taxable gross tax paid to date Tax code and NI to date. Plus any other deductions that have been adjusted to arrive at the adjusted net pay.  These figures are needed from last payslip and also the ones your employer intends to adjust to arrive at the new figures used to calculate the adjusted net pay.  So three sets of figures. Last payslip Option 1 and Option 2
    Based on your 90% figure I assume you are paying tax at the 20% band ( I ask as 90% figure may not be based on typical earnings)
    When do you expect to return to work and do you expect to earn enough to pay tax.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure