Bins on strike

Options
Gbean87
Gbean87 Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
In my city, the bin men have been on strike since before Xmas and intend to continue to be in strike until April. 
The council have set up some rubbish drop off points. However people who do not have cars etc. Will of course struggle with getting their rubbish down to one of the points. I understand some people in these situations have been using private firms at a cost to them.

However, with the amount of council tax we pay, I'm miffed that they aren't able to deliver on the basic services promised and as outlined in the annual bill.

I know it's not likely to be much - but as I've paid for services not delivered, what do you think are the chances of getting a refund for the % paid?

Thanks 

Comments

• DiseasedBunny
    Options
    0% is how much you will get back…
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely nil.
  • emmajones1976
    Options
    None. You are aware council tax makes up a tiny percentage of the overall budget of a local authority, dont you?
  • CovKid_4
    Options
    The council will be losing money because of the strikes. Giving you or anyone else a council tax rebate will only worsen their financial position, which is pretty bad already because of years of central government cuts.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2022 at 3:16PM
    Options
    In my council in Scotland the charge for bin collection pro rata for band d is 73 pence per month, less than £10 per year for your household

we have calculated it because we often get complaints like this, however we dont offer any refund

elmer

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Council Tax is not a payment for council provided services but a tax on the occupation of domestic property. As others have said, there will be no refund.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also, 'elderly' is not a synonym for 'helpless'. I'm in my early 70s and just as capable as anyone else of taking my rubbish to where it needs to be. (Although our bin workers are not on strike right now) I'm getting very tired of being thought of as feeble just because I'm now a septuagenarian. My 52 year old friend - yes, 20 years younger  - is unable to do half the things I can and relies heavily on me for assistance.

Please can we have less of the age discrimination? And those bin workers aren't striking for the fun of it either. Lets hope their employer takes notice of them soon. 

In the meantime you could complain to your council about having to pay for all the services but not receiving all of them. The public needs to start showing that they want the problem sorted out without delay. You could even ask for a refund but I doubt it will be forthcoming.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Gbean87
    Gbean87 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2022 at 12:21PM
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Also, 'elderly' is not a synonym for 'helpless'. I'm in my early 70s and just as capable as anyone else of taking my rubbish to where it needs to be. (Although our bin workers are not on strike right now) I'm getting very tired of being thought of as feeble just because I'm now a septuagenarian. My 52 year old friend - yes, 20 years younger  - is unable to do half the things I can and relies heavily on me for assistance.

Please can we have less of the age discrimination? And those bin workers aren't striking for the fun of it either. Lets hope their employer takes notice of them soon. 

In the meantime you could complain to your council about having to pay for all the services but not receiving all of them. The public needs to start showing that they want the problem sorted out without delay. You could even ask for a refund but I doubt it will be forthcoming.
    Thanks - apologies, I hadn't meant to cause any offence - . I have corrected the post in line with your complaint.

I think in my mind, I was thinking of my grandfather in his late 90s who is definitely struggling and to whom we are providing assistance.

Also.
    I would like to clarify that I'm in support of the strike - I think the reasoning is solid and I'm absolutely for collective a bargaining. However, as the council won't be paying wages for striking workers, nor the entirety of the usual maintenance for the trucks that aren't going out, I wouldn't want them to be selling this as a "saving" with year end coming up. Also residents trying to claim it back/the cost of issuing refunds may well push the council into more decisive action to bring the issue to a close.  

I'm well aware the amount is tiny and the majority of my council tax goes into adult social care/ fire service/ other public services. I'm also well aware of how councils work financially - having worked my whole career in this space. Its more a point of principle than for financial gain. 

I literally just wondered if anyone had success in claiming it back in similar circumstances as a precedent.

Thank you all for your responses anyway. 

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gbean87 said:
    MalMonroe said:

I literally just wondered if anyone had success in claiming it back in similar circumstances as a precedent.

That is one thing no council would ever want to do - create a precedent by refunding a portion of CT paid because a "service" was not performed.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2022 at 11:48AM
    Options
    The only way a council could refund council tax would be by cutting services.

What would you like them to cut, in order to pay you back.

Close some local schools? Kick some elderly people out of a home perhaps? Cancel health visits to elderly people? Closing a few local parks? Turn off local streetlights? Block up roads? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback