Changes to verbal agreement plus no pay??

Options
So..... I work for a company, during the pandemic I was asked to work from home to take phone calls that couldnt be taken in the office.  I asked if this would be a permanent change and was told yes it would.  I asked for a contractual change but was advised it would not be needed as this was a verbal agreement and it would be honoured.  Now they want me to go in once or twice a week.  I agreed I would if it was occasionally and not every week. Then my car broke down and I couldnt get in that week, but I worked from home as usual.   I was called into a meeting and was told if I didnt turn up to work again I would not be paid for that day. I pointed out I had worked from home as usual and they said this would not be the case in the future, I would not be sent the phone calls and I would not be paid.   Is this right??? I've been employed two years and one year I have been working from home
    To those who are given much, much is expected

Comments

• 74jax
      74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
      Options
      Is it extremely difficult to get public transport to your office? I can understand it could be, a drive to my last work took 15 mins but about 1.15hrs on a bus with 3 changes, so when I couldn't use my car I got a taxi, that's an option if it galena again maybe?
      I would apologise profusely, when you worked the day, did you inform them you were not turning up but would work that day at home? Is it possible they will not pay you as they didn't know you were working? 
      Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • sams247
      sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
      First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
      Options
      It takes me an hour to drive to work.  And I finish work at midnight, so not driving is not an option.  I gave 6 hours warning that my car had broekn down and was advised I could work from home that day.

But thank you 

To those who are given much, much is expected
      1. robatwork
        robatwork Posts: 7,117 Forumite
        Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
        Options
        You took the job initially knowing you had to drive 1 hour to get there (unless you moved further away during the pandemic) so you can't reasonably use this as some justification to not wanting to go in.

This won't end well so you should start hunting closer to home.
      2. [Deleted User]
        [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
        First Post Name Dropper
        edited 20 January 2022 at 7:57PM
        Options
        You were offered a variation to your contract, the onus was on you to get all negotiated and recorded and signed off. The employer has decided to look again at the state of play and decided what was to work for you won't necessarily work for them so has taken steps to address their interests.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
      • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
      • 173.3K Life & Family
      • 248.4K Travel & Transport
      • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
      • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback