How can I earn extra money from a Facebook group

Options
I`m looking for some advice on how to earn a bit of extra cash. I have a Facebook group which lends out codes to people who ask for them, It currently has 91.2k followers and I also have a Instagram and blog which are different genres but with a healthy following too. 

For months I`ve been racking my brain trying to figure out how I can earn something from these. I have looked into a membership fee - That isnt so easy on FB. I do currently charge for advertising but it doesn`t bring in as much money.

It doesn`t even need to be lots of money each day, If it`s £1 or £2 a day that`s fine.

2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not totally sure what lending out codes to people means in practice but why not charge for this service?
    Or ask people for a donation. 
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January 2022 at 9:40PM
    Options
    pramsay13 said:
    I'm not totally sure what lending out codes to people means in practice but why not charge for this service?
    Discount codes...

I have thought about charging for lending out codes but it just doesn`t work out for many reasons. Facebook group is a free for all so codes can be given out left, right and centre. From what I can gather people don`t like the thought of being charged for being handed discount codes. People don`t want to be charged for a discount code when they`re about to spend money on something they want to buy from a shop for example, They would want to save the pennies to buy that item. After all they`re asking for a discount code to save money, They arent saving money if I`m going to charge for them to be given a code they would see it as a cheek. People just don`t want to pay for that service.
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 January 2022 at 9:55PM
    Options
    There are many places with discount codes available for free so as you say it is unlikely people will pay when they can just go elsewhere - some sites use affiliate links with the on-line codes so they get a bit of cash if someone follows a link to use the code    
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Emmaaar22 said:
    pramsay13 said:
    Discount codes...

I have thought about charging for lending out codes but it just doesn`t work out for many reasons. Facebook group is a free for all so codes can be given out left, right and centre. From what I can gather people don`t like the thought of being charged for being handed discount codes. People don`t want to be charged for a discount code when they`re about to spend money on something they want to buy from a shop for example, They would want to save the pennies to buy that item. After all they`re asking for a discount code to save money, They arent saving money if I`m going to charge for them to be given a code they would see it as a cheek. People just don`t want to pay for that service.
    I'm not even sure Facebook would allow such a thing. And with so many members in that group, someone would be bound to report you. 

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me too. If you are setting it up as a business, won't you have to register, even if your income isn't high?

You have answered your own question here, though, when you say "people just don't want to pay for that service". You're right. I know I don't. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Emmaaar22
    Emmaaar22 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 January 2022 at 10:25PM
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    Emmaaar22 said:
    pramsay13 said:
    Discount codes...

I'm not even sure Facebook would allow such a thing. And with so many members in that group, someone would be bound to report you. 

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me too. If you are setting it up as a business, won't you have to register, even if your income isn't high?

You have answered your own question here, though, when you say "people just don't want to pay for that service". You're right. I know I don't. 
    It`s not really a business. I`m a affiliate and was getting all these offers and codes from shops and I had nothing to do with them so just started this facebook group and it`s just grown from their. Advertising is alright but it`s no where near the threshold, It`s more of a small extra to help pay bills etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback