long time watcher - nearly there...

So just over 10 years I had a mortgage of around £135k. I came into a small amount of cash around £14.5k and wondered what to do with it and came across this forum. So taking the advice here I paid it off the mortgage but kept my payments the same at around £800 a month. Since then I have gradually increased my payments each time aiming for a reduction of the date it would be cleared which was originally 2032.

Skip to today and with 'just' £13k remaining I intend to have this paid by August this year, a whole 10 years early - I can't describe how good this feels but I am sure others on here will know...

I would just like to thank everyone for their inspirational posts I have followed, particularly when things got hard but you all kept me on track and not long now, 7 more payments and I will be done with a mortgage forever.....

Comments

• Just over 2 years to go and will be 55 and can then access my pension and AVC's which will give me the equivalent take home pay of a £35k job using the Lump sum over the next 12 years and then when that's spent the state pension will kick in giving me around £37k a year plus what ever both my pension and state pension have increased by. My pension is a local Gov one and pays for life.

my current salary is more than this but I have lived on roughly this for last 10 years and used rest to overpay mortgage.

Its been a long 10 year plan but its starting to feel real, may be I will retire then and maybe I won't - key for me is I am starting to get to the stage where I have a choice which was always one of my drivers along this path...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback