Shared Parental Leave Help

Options
Hi, 

I am hoping someone is able to help me. 

My company is offering me full pay for 3 months, half pay for 3 months and then SMP after that whilst on maternity leave. Our plan was for me to take 6 months and then we would switch to shared parental leave where my husband would then take 3 months leave and I would take 3 months leave after that.

His company have said that unless he took the 3 months straight after the birth of our child they would only pay him SSHP but if he took the 3 months straight after the birth then they would pay him in full but when he returned to work and I was to then go on maternity leave my company are not allowed to pay me in full or they would revoke his full pay? Is this something a company can do? I feel like they are making it really difficult for him to take the leave. We aren't going over our 39 weeks entitlement when he will start his SPL so I don't understand how they can say i am not allowed to take full pay from my company. 

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I believe this is correct e.g. the first part is always paid most and then less pay for staying off for longer.

If his company policy states the first 3 months are paid in full then subsequent months are paid at the statutory rate then if he takes leave from 3 to 6  months he will get the lower rate.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jayne670 said:
    Hi, 

I am hoping someone is able to help me. 

My company is offering me full pay for 3 months, half pay for 3 months and then SMP after that whilst on maternity leave. Our plan was for me to take 6 months and then we would switch to shared parental leave where my husband would then take 3 months leave and I would take 3 months leave after that.

His company have said that unless he took the 3 months straight after the birth of our child they would only pay him SSHP but if he took the 3 months straight after the birth then they would pay him in full but when he returned to work and I was to then go on maternity leave my company are not allowed to pay me in full or they would revoke his full pay? Is this something a company can do? I feel like they are making it really difficult for him to take the leave. We aren't going over our 39 weeks entitlement when he will start his SPL so I don't understand how they can say i am not allowed to take full pay from my company. 

I honestly don't know the answer, but I do think it sounds odd that his pay from his company is dependent on your pay from your company.

NB, I think you have to take a minimum amount of maternity after the birth, so if you went back to work after that, then went off again, I think you'd then be on shared parental leave terms.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback