MS Excel or Business Analyst volunteer

Options
Hi, 

I'm want to volunteer a few hours a week to help people or businesses with any spreadsheet problems or jobs. I worked in procurement 17 years ago and used excel, but want to get more familiar with day to day spreadsheet tasks to boost my skill set and current experience. I work full-time as a Kindergarten Teacher, so there are no opportunities to use excel at all. If anyone knows any volunteer, job websites or companies where I can gain more experience it would be most appreciated.

Thanks 

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,865 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, 

I'm want to volunteer a few hours a week to help people or businesses with any spreadsheet problems or jobs. I worked in procurement 17 years ago and used excel, but want to get more familiar with day to day spreadsheet tasks to boost my skill set and current experience. I work full-time as a Kindergarten Teacher, so there are no opportunities to use excel at all. If anyone knows any volunteer, job websites or companies where I can gain more experience it would be most appreciated.

Thanks 
    Google on 'volunteer opportunities UK' and you'll get lots of sites you can follow up.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doit is a great site too, I found 3 opportunities via this site. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "Excel spreadsheets" can be a simple table where you just are doing data entry, mid level where you need to understand vlookups and pivot tables to aggregate data etc or complex models with thousands of lines of VBA modelling things like NPV of pensions based on different longevity assumptions... where are you on the scale?

You probably need to be clear on your level of experience and honest if you are looking for something to do for fun and so within your skill levels or trying to improve your knowledge and so will be an element of "learning on the job"
  • lukemichael
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    "Excel spreadsheets" can be a simple table where you just are doing data entry, mid level where you need to understand vlookups and pivot tables to aggregate data etc or complex models with thousands of lines of VBA modelling things like NPV of pensions based on different longevity assumptions... where are you on the scale?

You probably need to be clear on your level of experience and honest if you are looking for something to do for fun and so within your skill levels or trying to improve your knowledge and so will be an element of "learning on the job"
    I would say mid level, I can do vlookup and other formulas, pivot tables and aggregate data but looking to get more frequent with those and carry on to tasks that are more advanced 
  • lukemichael
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Hi, 

Thanks 
    Google on 'volunteer opportunities UK' and you'll get lots of sites you can follow up.
    Before posting on here I did look at volunteering vacancies but the jobs were broader then what I was looking for. Thanks for the information 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback