Electricians course

Options
I am considering doing an electricians course, which will start with a new electricians domestic installers course. I was wondering if anyone had experience of these courses and how valuable they are. My slight concern is that they teach you theory and some practical, but may not help with real life job situations. Any advice thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    How long, and how intensive, is the course?  My nephew did a 3 to 4 year apprenticeship which included one day per week at college in order to get his qualifications.
  • Captainkirk54
    Options
    You are right to have a concern.

I am retired now but my last job was an Authorised Person - Electrical, and part of my duties was assessing peoples competence and experience for working in MoD , industrial and commercial installations. This is where the best wages are but the assessment was based on 60% experience and 40% qualifications.

This is because the basic training and qualifications for "house bashing" is far below the standard required for the above installations. Domestic electricians are not highly experienced or qualified and are mainly dependent upon the hire and fire culture of the building industry. Domestic electrical training is best suited to self employed - sole trader employment and there will be opportunities in the EV and PV market in the future subject to further training and qualifications.

Even so any competent and qualified electrician must have the additional inspection and testing qualifications particularly if they are certifying their own work.

In the past electricians apprenticeship was 4 years on the tools with one day a week at day release college. Block release for a week or more were tried, but it was found that it took the individual off the job for too long thereby losing hands on experience and a loss of manpower on the job. It was not popular with employers 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback