We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax advice on flat

Bit of a tricky dilemma this one so hopefully some advice from the membership here...

I have lived in a flat above a shop for the last 28 years i have always been band B all the neighbouring shops have flats of a similar size above and they are all band A my annual bill  from my local council never states flat just the building number despite my driving licence and most of my personal correspondence using flat and the building number as the address.

Do you think i have reasonable grounds to challenge my banding ?


Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards