Should I opt out?

Hi I’m 
after some advice 
should I opt out of my pension for 12 months and use my contributions to pay off  some of my credit card debt?
thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,831 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 January 2022 at 3:00PM
    Hi,

Its not really a Yes/No answer is it, it depends on your circumstances, way more information is required before anyone can answer that question, can you give us more detail on your income/expenditure/debts/living circumstances etc.

Posting an SOA is usually the best way to start a thread.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Absolutely never opt put of your pension. In most cases it is like turning away free money. Your future self will not thank you at all. As suggested above post an SOA and people can then make useful suggestions to help you. Stopping pension contributions is not the answer.
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No, my partner did that to pay off debt years ago. He lost loads from his pension & now retired struggles for money. He's also still in debt as having cleared them he just hit the credit cards again
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As sourcrates says it's not a yes/no answer. Eg if your pension is already fully funded. Also depends on how your employer match works - it's not always the case that you're "throwing away free money."
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you are paying more in interest than you are gaining in employer/government contributions then it may be a good idea. It will also depend on your age. You could make up the payments once you are no longer paying off the cards. 

I obviously cannot comment on other people's circumstances but I would be surprised if just one year of missed payments would be the cause of hardship in later life.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • Andyjflet
    Andyjflet Posts: 548 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    No. Not advised, you will regret it later down the line. 
    Baby Step 6/7 - £63000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What industry do you work in?

If its the nhs please don't do this as the nhs has the best pension out there.. Plus you could easily forget to reenter the pensions scheme too. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• No you shouldn’t. A pension should be a priority expense as presumably your employer only pays in if you pay in. Opting out to pay debt will lead to less inc9me in retirement especially if it takes a long time. Ideally we need to see an soa but you should exhaust all other avenues first to repay the credit card debt and get your finances on a better footing.

How much debt do you have and are you paying interest?
    How did you acquire the debt in the first place?
    Can you afford minimum payments and have you looked at snowball calculators?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback