CMO possible problem

My other half pays nearly £300 a month for his 16 yr old daughter. She is in college for 13 hours a week. However she is also working but not going through the books. His childs mother is literally getting more money than us and hasnt worked for 14 years!!

Any advice much appreciated.



  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    12 hours a week is classed as full time education and qualifies the mother to continue to claim child benefit and tax credits or UC child element.
    The teenager can work without it affecting their parents benefits. So "not going through the books" makes no differnce.
    The maintenance your partner pays is also ignored for all means tested benefits.
    Once child benefit stops your partner will no longer need to continue to pay, which will either be once they finish full time non advanced education or the day before their 20th birthday.
    You can use a child maintenance calculator to check the right amount is being paid, other than that there's nothing you can do.

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards