So it begins!

After stalking these boards for some time, I've decided to bite the bullet and have put in a plan to be mortgage free in five years.

I've started by making swaps and looking for cheaper options and keeping a list of the difference to be overpaid. For example, I saw a gorgeous jacket in North Face in town, but found a used one on eBay saving £100 which I've paid down against the mortgage.

On top of this, we've recently remortgaged with a reduced term, and last year set up a direct debit for overpayments which we increased everytime either me or my husband have had a pay increase.

I'll update my signature soon and look forward to reading everyone else's money saving tips and tricks. Here's to a mortgage free future!

Comments

• powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,100
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Welcome to the board and good luck with your mortgage free quest fresno 
    I find that the routine overpayments make the biggest difference and the ad hoc ones keep me interested! Keep checking your progress, break into steps and you’ll be there in no time. Have you joined any of the challenges? It would help break your goal into shorter instalments. 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £500/ £3,600

• Fresno66
    Fresno66 Posts: 10
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you! I've not joined any of the challenges but will check them out :smile:
  • Fresno66
    Fresno66 Posts: 10
    First Post
    Forumite
    I had a meeting with a financial advisor this week who threw a spanner in the works by advising that we should top up pensions and ISAs before overpaying the mortgage. I've got a good plan in place with him to cover all three so it will be slower progress on the mortgage mountain unfortunately!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,497
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fresno66 said:
    I had a meeting with a financial advisor this week who threw a spanner in the works by advising that we should top up pensions and ISAs before overpaying the mortgage. I've got a good plan in place with him to cover all three so it will be slower progress on the mortgage mountain unfortunately!
    Definitely a good idea. I seem to be very much in the minority here but it makes a lot of sense to pay in to pensions as early as possible to give maximum time for growth.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • No overpayments this month but I've set up a nutmeg ISA with £600 (and get £60 cashback from quidco). I've also spent out on new running shoes which were an expense, but I've stepped up my running for a marathon at the end of the year, and overall it's a fairly cheap hobby.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,497
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good luck with the marathon! Agree it's a cheap hobby even with shoes it's less than gym membership
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • kr147
    kr147 Posts: 43
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nice work! I love seeing people's saving journeys - they are so inspiring. Running is a great cheap hobby! 
    Mortgage Total #1: £166,000 OPs so far: £10,250
    Mortgage Total #2: £60,900 OPs so far: £0
    --
    Reno target: plastering spare room £500
    --
    Targets: Make £ from selling items online. 
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family