We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you do?

Options
bmthmark
bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 6 January 2022 at 5:57PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Hi

I currently have £160k mortgage that I am trying to pay off.
I've been lucky that I am in a fixed rate of 0.99% over 5 years so my monthly mortgage payment is approx £890.

I have been overpaying £500 a month as well as this is making it drop quite quickly.

I've also been saving (approx £500 a month) and I am currently at £16k, this isn't for anything in particular. More an emergency if I were to be out of a job etc. My intial plan was to save up £20k. 
But I'm thinking now I should maybe pay more off the mortgage now. I can pay upto 10% overpayments without any charges.

So my question is: do you think I should either pay more in overpayments? carry on saving (rubbish interest rate)? or save and pay a lump sum off mortgage at the end of each year?

I have a good pension with my work, so I don't need to add anything extra to that.

I'm just not sure what to do. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,768 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would (and have) invested money into a S&S ISA instead of paying off the mortgage faster. Each to their own but for me it's worked out brilliantly with a nice investment pot that could have cleared the mortgage several times over. Obviously it's not guaranteed but long term it should be better than savings or mortgage overpayments.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames said:
    I would (and have) invested money into a S&S ISA instead of paying off the mortgage faster. Each to their own but for me it's worked out brilliantly with a nice investment pot that could have cleared the mortgage several times over. Obviously it's not guaranteed but long term it should be better than savings or mortgage overpayments.
    Thanks, I started to look at this but didn't know how to set it all up.
    Do they allow you to pay for example £400 a month?
    Also I understand you can select the type of risk. Do you have an example of the kind of profit you could get back after a certain amount of time? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback