We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MOT in NI for UK registered car?
pablopablo
Posts: 15
Forumite
in N. Ireland
Hi,
I have a car which was leased from an English company. It's on the original UK/GB plates and the leasing company are asking for an MOT because it is now turning 3 years old.
I've tried explaining to them that MOT's in NI are not due until year 4, but nobody seems to have a clue.
I've even been told i may have to bring it to England to get the test (!!??)
Has anyone some knowledge on this they can share please?
I have a car which was leased from an English company. It's on the original UK/GB plates and the leasing company are asking for an MOT because it is now turning 3 years old.
I've tried explaining to them that MOT's in NI are not due until year 4, but nobody seems to have a clue.
I've even been told i may have to bring it to England to get the test (!!??)
Has anyone some knowledge on this they can share please?
0
Comments
-
What does the paperwork you signed say?pablopablo said:Hi,
I have a car which was leased from an English company. It's on the original UK/GB plates and the leasing company are asking for an MOT because it is now turning 3 years old.
I've tried explaining to them that MOT's in NI are not due until year 4, but nobody seems to have a clue.
I've even been told i may have to bring it to England to get the test (!!??)
Has anyone some knowledge on this they can share please?
Whats to stop you applying for and getting an MOT on it here, as per their requirement?
At that age it shouldnt require anything anyway, so would likely be just a formality taking it through.
Whilst it may seem daft it might be the path of least pain and hassle for you.0 -
I'm awaiting a response from DVLNI. They weren't able to answer query over the phone so had to escalate it.motorguy said:
What does the paperwork you signed say?pablopablo said:Hi,
I have a car which was leased from an English company. It's on the original UK/GB plates and the leasing company are asking for an MOT because it is now turning 3 years old.
I've tried explaining to them that MOT's in NI are not due until year 4, but nobody seems to have a clue.
I've even been told i may have to bring it to England to get the test (!!??)
Has anyone some knowledge on this they can share please?
Whats to stop you applying for and getting an MOT on it here, as per their requirement?
At that age it shouldnt require anything anyway, so would likely be just a formality taking it through.
Whilst it may seem daft it might be the path of least pain and hassle for you.0 -
I am of course happy to book MOT even at 3 years, but DVLNI site won't allow me to bookmotorguy said:
What does the paperwork you signed say?pablopablo said:Hi,
I have a car which was leased from an English company. It's on the original UK/GB plates and the leasing company are asking for an MOT because it is now turning 3 years old.
I've tried explaining to them that MOT's in NI are not due until year 4, but nobody seems to have a clue.
I've even been told i may have to bring it to England to get the test (!!??)
Has anyone some knowledge on this they can share please?
Whats to stop you applying for and getting an MOT on it here, as per their requirement?
At that age it shouldnt require anything anyway, so would likely be just a formality taking it through.
Whilst it may seem daft it might be the path of least pain and hassle for you.1 -
Just reregister the car to NI if you have the reg document (taxbook)
then its on NI system................4 yrs for MOT
if not? mot it in England
0 -
Lease company holds the tax book and not really practical to take car to England for an MOT. Hopefully DVLNI have a solution. I'm hardly the first case of this.ballyblack said:Just reregister the car to NI if you have the reg document (taxbook)
then its on NI system................4 yrs for MOT
if not? mot it in England0 -
So I finally received a reply from DVLNI a day after i took the car to Scotland to sort it's MOT (it expired yesterday).
If you live in NI and have a lease car that is registered in England/Scotland/Wales, you cannot get a year 3 MOT done in NI and you need to go to the mainland. They legally cannot MOT a car in NI until year 4 regardless of where it is registered..
You can get year a 4 MOT done in NI if you manually submit the cars details to the DVLNI in advance.
Mystery solved. :-)
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards