🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Equity Release safety

Options

I’m wondering what happens if a lender goes into liquidation, what do the creditors do?  Can they call in the loans?

That is, am I ever at risk of losing my house even if I have followed the terms and conditions?

Also, what happens if the lender business gets sold on?  Is my agreement still safe?

Equity Release is something I have thought a lot about and decided it is right for my family.  My only concern is external forces affecting my entitlement not to have to repay the loan whilst I still live in the home.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The book would be sold on, under the same terms.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options

I’m wondering what happens if a lender goes into liquidation, what do the creditors do?  Can they call in the loans?

That is, am I ever at risk of losing my house even if I have followed the terms and conditions?

Also, what happens if the lender business gets sold on?  Is my agreement still safe?

Equity Release is something I have thought a lot about and decided it is right for my family.  My only concern is external forces affecting my entitlement not to have to repay the loan whilst I still live in the home.

Equity release is normally not right for anyone's family, you should seriously reconsider what you are doing. 
  • Jasmine2302
    Options
    Each to their own I suppose.  Thank you for your interest.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your loan is sold on the original terms and conditions should still apply.  @MattMattMattUK is quite correct - as far as financial products go, equity release products are generally awful and should be considered the last resort of the desperate.  
  • Jasmine2302
    Options
    COULD THE MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE MY POST.  THANK YOU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport