P45 section 9

edited 5 January at 2:12PM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
2 replies 72 views
ksg1ksg1 Forumite
1 Post
I have recently lost my and have received my p45.
Section 9 works number/payroll number and department of branch (if any).
It has given my payroll number and department but it also says (default). Could any one advise me what the default is . 

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    69.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wasn’t entirely sure where to move this post to , but hopefully this is the correct forum. 
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ksg1 said:
    I have recently lost my and have received my p45.
    Section 9 works number/payroll number and department of branch (if any).
    It has given my payroll number and department but it also says (default). Could any one advise me what the default is . 

I don't know, but if your employer either didn't have many separate departments, or you were in the same department as most people, then it just sounds like a lazy setting up of the payroll software, which probably said 'default' by default, and that's not been changed when a new department name has been added. 

Having said that, I don't think anyone will care what your payroll no. and department were in that job. I imagine that with a very large employer, they'd be helpful bits of information if anyone ever had a query over your salary, but I can't imagine HMRC will care ... nor any future employer. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind