PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Resisting temptation

CRALISLIS
CRALISLIS Posts: 6 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 29 December 2021 at 3:19PM in Old style MoneySaving
i hadn’t realised fully until recently how massively exposed I was to marketing and adverts. Of course I knew that watching tv would bring up adverts and scrolling through my FB feed too, but just recently I have paid more attention to it and have decided to actively do something about it with a view to being tempted to buy less than I currently do!

What do you do to resist temptation of buying more than you need or things that you don’t need?

Comments

• Another way is to visualise how many hours work you would need to do to pay for the item, that’s your take home wage after tax etc. 

so for example if you earned £10 an hour after taxes etc. and the food mixer you covet is £100. Then you would have to work 10 hours to pay for it. Is it worth a day and a bit of your labour?
    ^^ The principal behind MSE Martin's spending demotivator.

I have not subscribed to SM feeds such as FB and Instagram realising early its just a waste of time combined with a marketing grab. Unlike @Edgeoftheburn, if there's something I want I add it to my P'interest board and sooner or later I find it / very similar through the medium of the chazzer.
    That is a great idea Rosa, no Charity shops near me but Marketplace of Face has been very good to us recently when I have made an effort to look. I think my wait list will have a new dimension for 2022 and a tracking of £ saved 😄
  • baggins11 said:

I do also like the idea of the 30 day waiting list and might try that one.
    I also try to defer big spends for as long as I can, at least waiting until the new cc month starts. The psychological impact of the wait has benefits.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport