Drawing cash from house

Options
Hello all. Hoping to find you all in great health and spirit.
We are nearly mortgage free (still owing £1300 that I do not want to pay off for reasons). House is worth £500k

Question: What kind of method would allow us to release cash out of the house (thinking £100k) ?? We do not want yo consider equity release.

Thank you all for your responses.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should talk to your existing lender about whether they will allow you to increase your borrowing that is secured on the house for the purpose that you want £100K. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 19 December 2021 at 11:09PM
    Options
    What do you mean "release cash out of the house"? Obviously the only way to do that is sell it and buy a cheaper house. If you want £100k, then you probably need to look at houses about £350k when you account for all the buying and selling costs.
    You could just borrow £100k, perhaps secured against the house, but that's not releasing cash, that's just borrowing. Eg take out a new mortgage, extend your existing one. But like all borrowing, you need to pay interest, and eventually pay it back. You could plan to pay it back out of your estate when you die, but that's similar to "equity release".
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    Thank you both, sorry for late acknowledgement,  I have been away.

So basically, there isn't a scheme that would lend now and get repaid when we eventually sell?? 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I think only equity release might work - what's your aversion to that? 
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Thank you both, sorry for late acknowledgement,  I have been away.

So basically, there isn't a scheme that would lend now and get repaid when we eventually sell?? 
    Of course there is, a "mortgage", but you know about that as you already have one. Or an "equity release" mortgage where you don't need to make payments but obviously the interest then rolls up and compounds, but you said you don't want one of them. I don't know what else you were expecting?

• powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An interest only mortgage? 

A regular repayment mortgage may be your best bet if it’s affordable. You’ve got a great LTV so the interest should be low. 

I think you either need to get some advice
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business