NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

Self-employed on a low income needs a loaned £3-4k buffer cash to be repaid within 2 years

in Loans
78 replies 2.8K views
1234568»

Replies

• aoleksaoleks Forumite
    720 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I didn’t read the entire thread, but your plans are simply idiotic, sorry.

putting salt on fries in a mcdonalds will pay much more than what you bring in atm. Investing £15-16k to make about 20% more (let it be 50% extra!!!) is just stupid, you’re still close to minimum wage.

flipping hell, benefits could pay more than you bring in.

you’re doing something wrong and borrowing more is just irresponsible. I wouldn’t lend people like you a tenner. Not because of your income, but because of your financial illiteracy!
  • Ajax67Ajax67 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    aoleks said:

putting salt on fries in a mcdonalds will pay much more than what you bring in atm. Investing £15-16k to make about 20% more (let it be 50% extra!!!) is just stupid, you’re still close to minimum wage.

you’re doing something wrong and borrowing more is just irresponsible. I wouldn’t lend people like you a tenner. Not because of your income, but because of your financial illiteracy!
    One of the benefits of self-employment is not having to be a member of working teams with arrogant and condescending individuals. For such bonuses, many people are willing to work even under NMW.
  • Ajax67 said:
    aoleks said:

One of the benefits of self-employment is not having to be a member of working teams with arrogant and condescending individuals. For such bonuses, many people are willing to work even under NMW.
    Living in a shared house and not really having your own freedom isn't a bonus.
  • Ajax67Ajax67 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am not sure if more or less open or concealed personal insults are exactly what the users of this forum need.

Anyway, for some individuals, real financial security and freedom may begin only with owning a fortune worth several million pounds, or even more. Such people would look with a similar attitude at certain French "hostesses" as such "hostesses" would do at certain window cleaners in the UK.
  • Ajax67Ajax67 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    By the way, my friends, what would you think about my potential attempt to issue minibonds for some of my best customers who know me mostly for several years? Can a small tradesman in the UK dare to do something like that? Is it likely that the average middle-class/higher middle-class English people would take such an attempt for its face value? That, if I well explained such an advance to them, they would at least stay loyal to me as my window cleaning customers? That they wouldn't think, for example, that I am some sort of junkie who is unable to make his ends meet, and who only wants to do them out of some part of their life savings?

Thank you for any honest and well-meant opinion.
  • You'll get no take up. Window cleaning businesses come and go all the time and they wouldn't be able to easily get their money back, if at all.
  • Ajax67Ajax67 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, they would have to risk. But, on the other hand, a good customer of mine, who is a car and van dealer, promised me that he would reduce his own margin for my benefit, to sell me his van relatively cheaply. If he did it, it would effectively be a donation to my business. But instead, he can lend me some money. At least I would think it would be more reasonable and fairer...
  • Edi81Edi81 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is the OP for real????
    You’ve been told multiple times to use savings, the chances of getting a loan are close to nil and now minibonds???? What next setting up a gofundme?