We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

WHY do they do it?

Blulu
Blulu Posts: 7,869
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 13 December 2021 at 2:46AM in Compers chat corner
Email from World of Cruising...

"Thank you for entering the competition to win a 14-night cruise for two to Spain, France and Portugal with Princess Cruises. We have news about your entry. Click here..."

I click and get...

"Great News.

You're in the draw. The competition closes on 21st December 2021 and we will make the draw after the closing date. Good Luck !"


I mean, what do they get out of building/dashing hope in that way? I expect that from Boris, but not from a flamin' competition!

Blu XXX
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apology
THIS IS ME!


When you talk down to others it says more about you than them.

Comments

  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,738
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have a horrible feeling that there's some way they can monitor/count the number of recipients who click to see if they've won and that the information is useful to the company because it shows engagement with "our message". 

    The ones that tell you you've won the prize of a percentage off the vastly inflated price of whatever useless tat they're selling are very annoying too. 

    May No-Spend Days 3
    May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
    May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
    May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100

    Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100

    Try being A Bit More Nellie
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @goldfinches yeah, that makes sense, and defo agree re the 'Congratulations, you have won...15% off' - grrr!

    I love your signature and have just downloaded The Devil's Dictionary. Looks fab. Thanks.

    Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!


    When you talk down to others it says more about you than them.
  • Deb2008
    Deb2008 Posts: 1,767
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The amount of emails I get...saying Congratulations You are a winner......of a discount lol
    Grrrrr sends me mental :)

    2011 & 2012 - Many Fantastic Prizes - thank you to all posters 2021 7 small prizes 2022 1 prize2023 1 prize 2024 5 prizes 2025 None
    2026 3 prizes
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,738
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Blulu said:
    @goldfinches yeah, that makes sense, and defo agree re the 'Congratulations, you have won...15% off' - grrr!

    I love your signature and have just downloaded The Devil's Dictionary. Looks fab. Thanks.

    Blu XXX
    Checkout the definition of feast if you need a laugh.!

    May No-Spend Days 3
    May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
    May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
    May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100

    Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100

    Try being A Bit More Nellie
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,869
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Feast: Brilliant. Love the subtle humour of the writing...

    "FASHION, n. A despot whom the wise ridicule and obey."


    Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!


    When you talk down to others it says more about you than them.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 47,406
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Probably because they have done the research and it is marketing that works (majority of likely customers probably do not enter lots of competitions so would think more of the e-mail than the nothing it really represents).
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.