Hoist financial

edited 4 December 2021 at 6:56PM in Debt-free wannabe
2 replies 249 views
jpheffernanjpheffernan Forumite
1 Post
edited 4 December 2021 at 6:56PM in Debt-free wannabe
Around 5 year's ago i was self-employed gardener and had an overdraft of 1500 from HSBC .i discovered after working and the stress of my own business i had epileptic seizures and couldn't work anymore..i couldn't pay my overdraft back, so HSBC took me to court and i have CCJ against my name now.

I tried to pay it back but because of my finances i couldn't. So i got a letter from the bank saying i no longer had to pay because of my circumstances. And they would write it off. I claimed my PPI that i had with them and they never took anything out of the compensation.

But now hoist finance are chasing me for this debt ringing me and sending me letters. I told them what happened with the bank but they're still hassling me ..what can i do about proving the written off debt.
They keep hassling me and i am scared that it will set off another seizure with the stress. 


  • Send them a copy of the letter.
  • edited 4 December 2021 at 5:39PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 December 2021 at 5:39PM
    You need to put all this in writing to them, mark your letter "COMPLAINT" .

    Give as much detail as you can, stay off the phone, that is seldom productive.

    Tell them the bank wrote the debt off due to your circumstances, enclose a copy of that letter, if you still have it, as advised above.

    Remember they must prove you owe the money, you don`t need to prove anything.

    They have 8 weeks to issue you with a final response, if you remain unhappy with there findings, you can then escalate the matter to the financial ombudsman service.

    Try not to stress about it, debt collectors can be difficult to deal with.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

    More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools