Getting the Right Mattress for Injury

Options
Got a bad hip which is affected by sleeping on it, before I part with lots of money I want to get the right mattress.      I've been to one shop and slept on three- 

Silent Night astral geltex.-   pretty good and soft .   I slept on injured side to test it out   £999.    My current bed and mattress are 120cm in width which isn't quite a double so might change whole bed to a proper double.   Also, tried -Rest Assured- The Indulgence Collection  Idyll Soft which isn't .    Only laid on beds for 10 mins.   How can I be sure I've got the best mattress?

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried sleeping on your 'good' side with your other leg across your body, knee bent, and with a pillow under that knee? 

Or alternatively you could ask a physiotherapist or chiropractor for advice.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you think a soft mattress is going to be better for you, I would call some local Bed & Breakfasts and ask who has a soft mattress. If any claim to have a soft mattress, ask them what make and model of matress it is. Then do some research on the internet to see if other people agree that it is a soft mattress. If they do, book to stay at the B&B for a night and see how you get on. If the mattress seems a bit too firm, repeat until you find a mattres that suits you.   
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • textbook
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    If you think a soft mattress is going to be better for you, I would call some local Bed & Breakfasts and ask who has a soft mattress. If any claim to have a soft mattress, ask them what make and model of matress it is. Then do some research on the internet to see if other people agree that it is a soft mattress. If they do, book to stay at the B&B for a night and see how you get on. If the mattress seems a bit too firm, repeat until you find a mattres that suits you.   
    lol.   I would never have thought of that,    Out of interest, how would you find out other people's opinions on that particular mattress - on a forum for mattresses or just google it?

A mate had a really nice soft mattress i slept on which didn't affect hip even when I slept on my bad side.   I remember looking for it but it was either not made anymore or not the small double size not sure why i didn't order it.   
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Problem is as always one mans firm mattress is another soft .
    Add in the fact that you need  to sleep on it for a few weeks at least .
    Have a look at John Ryan they have some very useful FAQS and a Q&A .

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a Relyon mattress........I was fortunate to get it in a closing down sale and now would not think of anything else.
    It's a medium so some support and some softness.
    I love the one in PInns which I think is Hypnos. You could definitely try that out easily enough ;-)
    Both these vary in price and some shops are crazy high but they are at reasonable price if you search.
    Have you tried some matress toppers? It's possible that that will provide enough softness.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If your hip problem is long term you may be eligible for not paying VAT which can be a big saving.  You may be asked to get proof such as a letter from GP.  

Full details are on the .gov website under “VAT relief for disabled people”
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    If your hip problem is long term you may be eligible for not paying VAT which can be a big saving.  You may be asked to get proof such as a letter from GP.  

Full details are on the .gov website under “VAT relief for disabled people”
    That's only if the product is originally designed to be used to help with the symptoms of a disability, so the specific mattress would have to qualify for VAT relief.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback