Selling or recycling phones?

Options
valacky
valacky Posts: 37 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 4 November 2021 at 6:22PM in Boost your income
Martins recent email suggested recycling phones for money "Old mobiles can be noxious - get paid to recycle yours, eg, £150 for an iPhone 8."
Well you'll be lucky to get anywhere near that. Recycler companies advertise these rates but it's just clickbait (Don't believe me? Well, how often have you got £5 for doing a survey? Have you ever got £5 for doing a survey?)
Do your homework and sell your smartphone on a suitable online platform. Describe it accurately, allow for p&p costs, don't take the first offer. Remember to remove your pin or security pattern and wipe the memory (factory data reset).

If it's just old mobiles that you don't think are worth the trouble then donate them. Many charities such as Hospices take them and bundle them together as job lots which sell well on ebay.

Comments

• SuperExcelMan
    Options
    Disagree 

Firstly, I do do surveys, and I do get paid ones over £5 (3 in October, one with Viewsbank, 2 with Populuslive) - if you don’t fit their demographics, you don’t qualify. For example, if they have a survey about kids TV, and you don’t have kids, you’re out of luck.

Secondly, I have sold dozens of phones over the years. I do agree, you could technically end up with more selling them on eBay, but at the mercy of accepting that some people are sub-human at times. I’ve sold perfectly good phones, and people have said their is a problem with them, PayPal always makes the seller the loser.

I traded in a phone at the weekend. I went to CEX, they spent a crazy amount of time testing it, offered £50 cash, or £72 credit. I went next door to cash converters, got £60 cash there and then. No hassle, no comebacks, no selling fees. If I had sold it on eBay, I would have got about £80. Less fees, that’s £64. Less postage, well you can see where it’s going.

• DontBringBertie
    Options
    I’ve been signed up to Populus for 5+ years and never ever had a survey paying more than £3, so I highly doubt that. 
  • SuperExcelMan
    Options
    I’ve been signed up to Populus for 5+ years and never ever had a survey paying more than £3, so I highly doubt that. 
    Unlucky then

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure