• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,057 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    JKenH said:
    Teapot55 said:

Yes, since our weather has become more ‘violent’ .....Teapot55 said:

Yes, since our weather has become more ‘violent’ it’s been necessary to find ways to make the washing less likely to be blown away, including more & stronger clothes pegs. 

Has it become more violent? 

Global warming.  Have you been in a cave for the last few years?
    I thought current modelling was that global warming explained the reduction in wind speeds seen over the last few decades as a consequence of the poles warming more quickly than the tropics?
    I think....
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    michaels said:
    Ectophile said:
    JKenH said:
    Teapot55 said:

Yes, since our weather has become more ‘violent’ it’s been necessary to find ways to make the washing less likely to be blown away, including more & stronger clothes pegs. 

I thought current modelling was that global warming explained the reduction in wind speeds seen over the last few decades as a consequence of the poles warming more quickly than the tropics?
    I've seen global warming put forward as the cause of every type of weather; hot, cold, windy, calm, wet, dry.    
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    The weather is definitely weird: I saw hydrangeas trying to flower today in someone’s garden & they normally come out in April or something. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    shinytop said:
    michaels said:
    Ectophile said:
    JKenH said:
    Teapot55 said:

I've seen global warming put forward as the cause of every type of weather; hot, cold, windy, calm, wet, dry.    
    That would make sense. Runaway climate change increases the frequency of all types of extreme weather events. Although periods of extremely calm weather don't make many headlines now that we're out of the age of sail.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    shinytop said:
    michaels said:
    Ectophile said:
    JKenH said:
    Teapot55 said:

Unfortunately, it's like that.  When global warming was first talked about, we were told that Southern England would become like the South of France.  It turned out to be a lot more complicated than that.

Warming weather can mean more droughts and more forest fires.  It can also mean more evaporation from the sea, and so more rain and floods.  More energy in the weather system also drives more storms.

So we're just going to get more weather than we used to.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback