National living and minimum wage to increase in April

The national living wage paid to workers aged 23 and over will rise from £8.91/hr to £9.50/hr from 1 April, the Government has announced. This represents an increase of 59p, and an extra £1,000/yr if you work full-time. The national minimum wage for workers aged under 23 and apprentices will also rise. ..
Read the full story here:

National living and minimum wage to increase in April

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    One worry I would have is that if companies have to increase minimum wage by over 6% then they will be less inclined to raise wages of others.  It could in some places close the pay gap between senior and non-senior workers.  There is very little to encourage companies to increase rates paid to workers.  For companies it won't be £1000 extra either per worker.  They will have to pay additional employers National Insurance as well.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback