Government unveils £65million package to help private renters during Covid-19

Options
The Government has announced a £65million package for local councils to help private tenants who are struggling with rent arrears due to the pandemic. Renters will be encouraged to contact their local councils to see if they are eligible...
Read the full story here:

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Emily said:
    The Government has announced a £65million package for local councils to help private tenants who are struggling with rent arrears due to the pandemic. Renters will be encouraged to contact their local councils to see if they are eligible...
    Read the full story here:

Where does it say this is for private renters? The press release states "Vulnerable renters", surely that includes all households.

• SpiderLegs
    SpiderLegs Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the govt should do what the Germans have done and nationalise all the private rental sector and give everyone a free house. This has made Germany the cheapest and best place to live in the world. 

• kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,373 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2021 at 12:39PM
    Options
    I think the govt should do what the Germans have done and nationalise all the private rental sector and give everyone a free house. This has made Germany the cheapest and best place to live in the world. 

I think you might want to check your facts.
    Berliners (not Germany as a whole) voted in a non-binding referendum (where have I heard that before?) to expropriate homes from large institutional investors, over 80% of the residential rental homes in Berlin would be unaffected. 

The irony in asking the Government to step in and fix something that is a direct result of Government policy, (low interest rates and QE over an extended period of time) seems to be missed.
  • SpiderLegs
    SpiderLegs Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2021 at 1:27PM
    Options
    kaMelo said:

I think you might want to check your facts.
    Berliners (not Germany as a whole) voted in a non-binding referendum (where have I heard that before?) to expropriate homes from large institutional investors, over 80% of the residential rental homes in Berlin would be unaffected. 

The irony in asking the Government to step in and fix something that is a direct result of Government policy, (low interest rates and QE over an extended period of time) seems to be missed.
    Whoops. I appear to have got it spectacularly wrong. It seem that a two minute research would have shown me that I was wrong, so I apologise for my foolish mistake.
    a lesson for all posters I think - try to check things before making silly posts about subjects you have no idea about!

• justwhat
    justwhat Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
     i really hope this is not to help those that deliberately withheld rent from LL's. Due to there sense of entitlement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback