IPA & Employee Strike action

Looking for a little advice before I speak to the Brankruptcy people. 

I currently pay into an IPA which I pay weekly on a continuous payment authority on my debit card. 

It has been announced that should no agreement be reached with my employer we will be on Strike from the 30th October and out until a deal is reached. Could be a day, week, weeks.

in terms of the IPA will I still be expected to pay this even though I will not have any income during the strike action as I am not a member of the Union so not entitled to claim any income directly from the union. 

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you are not a member of the Union why would you be "on strike?
  • Mart7379
    Mart7379 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Funnily enough you do not have to be part of a union to be on strike. Regardless of whether I am in the union or not I will not be crossing any picket line! 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,849 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mart7379 said:
    Funnily enough you do not have to be part of a union to be on strike. Regardless of whether I am in the union or not I will not be crossing any picket line! 
    That`s a very "80`s" left wing inspired statement, reminiscent of the miners strike, does this kind of thing still happen ?

Anyway, the amount you will have to pay into your IPA depends on your disposable income.

You will be expected to pay 100% of your disposable income into the agreement.
    There is no sliding scale.

So if you have no disposable income, then the IPA will be suspended or stopped altogether, at the OR`s discretion.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mart7379 said:
    If I needed the money I'd cross that line.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mart7379 said:
    Then you won't get paid. Hopefully the strike makes up for the losses you incur. 
  • Mart7379
    Mart7379 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mart7379 said:
    That`s a very "80`s" left wing inspired statement, reminiscent of the miners strike, does this kind of thing still happen ?

Anyway, the amount you will have to pay into your IPA depends on your disposable income.

So if you have no disposable income, then the IPA will be suspended or stopped altogether, at the OR`s discretion.
    If I could cross and not risk any backlash from fellow employees I would. But I’m not prepared to take that risk. I have been paying into an IPA since July and yes 100% of disposable income , and happy to do so. But the strike action announced by the employer union is ‘all out until a deal is reached’ 

strike action does not commence until 30th Oct, so still a week, so a possibility strike action will not go ahead and a deal can be struck. However as strike commences on a Saturday, highly likely it will continue into the Sunday. So if it goes ahead a minimum of 2 days without pay…….. and too late to join the union in hope the union make some kind of ‘strike pay’ compensation. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,849 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 October 2021 at 2:30PM
    Mart7379 said:
    Mart7379 said:

If I could cross and not risk any backlash from fellow employees I would. But I’m not prepared to take that risk.
    Wow, honestly, and apologies for straying from your original question, but I have never worked in an industry where this was a "thing", picket lines, backlash from other employees, lol, even the thought of being in a union is about as alien to me as a picket line.

I don`t know where you work, but it appears a very "olde worldy" aka 1970`s/80`s way of doing things.

I though all this kind of stuff was relegated to the history books, I really did, I had no idea it still happened this way, do as we say or face the consequences, I know some people still don`t talk to there ex workers who broke the picket lines during the 1984 miners strike, I think that`s terrible, especially when we are supposed to be a seat of democracy, and the word "scab" (really hate that word) starts to be banded around.

I`m afraid I'd be the polar opposite to you, I would not recognise any picket line, or strike, neither worked back then, neither works now,  someone tells me I can`t go about my lawful business, I say yes I can, and I will do, regardless, just my thoughts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mart7379 said:
    Never said you did but if you don't belong to the union there need be no expectation that you will strike.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the mid 2000's I worked for a local authority and we had a day striking (first and only time I'd striked).
    1 colleague went in to work but she was retiring (final salary) so deemed exempt from action.
    Another went in to work because they were dealing with school appeals. 1 or 2 people from the department were funny after with them for a little while after.
    One of the appeal panelists was an ex-teacher and refused to cross the picket line even though they were in a different union.
    I have mixed opinions about trade unions, they are a 'good idea' but it's the application I have concerns with.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport