Eye test Question

I recently had an eye test. Despite my right eye being stronger than the left, my prescription shows +2 for "near" for both eyes.
As a result, when using my new prescription reading glasses (bought elsewhere) for reading a book, I have to choose between having the book a bit nearer for perfect viewing for my right eye, or a bit further away for the left.
My question is, If I simply adjust my prescription in my left eye for near to +2.5, should that make both eyes appear about the same when reading?

Comments

• To understand the prescription the "near add" needs to be added to the distance prescription. 

Although in theory your plan sounds right, the full prescription is needed to confirm this. 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I recently had an eye test. Despite my right eye being stronger than the left, my prescription shows +2 for "near" for both eyes.
    As a result, when using my new prescription reading glasses (bought elsewhere) for reading a book, I have to choose between having the book a bit nearer for perfect viewing for my right eye, or a bit further away for the left.
    My question is, If I simply adjust my prescription in my left eye for near to +2.5, should that make both eyes appear about the same when reading?
    That is fairly normal. It is unusual (although not unknown) for there to be a different reading / near addition for each eye. This is because normally the main (distance) part of the prescription will have taken account of the differences between your two eyes and equalised them.

Obviously it is possible that either your prescription is wrong or that the glasses have been made incorrectly. This is one of the problems when you get your glasses elsewhere, establishing who is at fault.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Obviously go back, explain you need a new test, I'm sure most opticians will co operate. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback