We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax rebate cheque misspelled

So I’ve got this tax rebate cheque but I live abroad and I’m not able to cash it in here. I do however, have an UK account so someone else abroad will have to deposit it into my UK account there. I have family there and they said they could deposit it. I spoke to HMRC and got the cheque nominated to a family member but they mispelled his initials as B when it’s D. The last name is correct. Would the bank still accept this if he explained the situation and showed verification that the cheque was intended for him? 


  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2021 at 2:16PM
    You could return the cheque to the HMRC and instead ask that the funds be credited directly to your UK bank account, 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Submit it for clearing and see what happens, the odds are that they won't even notice.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards