Dad wants to do an apprenticeship

After speaking to my daughters dad (we are separated) who is currently out of work, he indicated that he wants to take an apprenticeship. I don't want to ask for too much of his income and I understand that apprentices do not earn a lot, however I have struggled financially since he lost his job.

If he takes an apprenticeship age 30+, will I be able to claim child maintenance? 

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sounds like your daughter's dad is thinking ahead - even a bit of a go-getter! If he's only in his thirties then going for an apprenticeship is a brilliant thing to do, he's so young! 

I'm not sure if you will be able to claim child maintenance from him if his income is low but apprenticeships don't last forever and once he's qualified he'll be able to earn more. 

Are you able to work or claim benefits yourself? I'm sure that he will want to contribute to his daughter's upkeep - but he can't be contributing much right now if he's out of work. As an apprentice, he may well be better off and I believe that salaries are increased after the first year of training anyway. 

It sounds like you'll be supportive anyway but I think you'll all be better off in the long run. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback